Friday, March 17, 2017

Thoughts for March 11, 2017


What a joy that it is time for Poetry and Stout
T’would be good if I worked on a poem, no doubt

This party comes at a perfect time during the year
When a long winter is enough to bring this Californian a tear

“Genius” is what I call this noble tradition
I’d come even if it were considered sedition

Snow and temperatures that threaten to go below zero
for a plant to merely survive it should be considered a hero

The ground is inhospitable, hard and unforgiving
Thank heaven I don’t photosynthesize for a living

If you haven’t gotten the hint, I’m ready for spring
Unfortunately, patience is not part of the game I bring

So why not find something good to do with my indoor time?
Maybe I could do the investigative work to uncover a great crime

Maybe I could make a great contribution toward world peace
Maybe solve the problems between Turkey and Greece

Maybe I could do something to slow climate change
Somehow help our priorities to rearrange

Maybe these are a bit ambitious for a cold winter day
Cold or not, these are a tough bunch, anyway

Maybe I should embrace the bitter cold
Find something outside to do that is inspiring and bold

Maybe climb to some mountain top, or at least Spofford Gap

After giving it much though, I decided just to take a nap

-- Curtis Woodcock

No comments: