Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Ode to the Happy Day


This time let me


be happy.


Nothing has happened to anybody,


I am nowhere special,


it happened only


that I am happy


through the four chambers


of my heart, walking,


sleeping or writing.


What can I do? I am


happy,


I am more uncountable


than the meadow


grass


I feel my skin like a wrinkled tree


and the water below,


the birds above,


the sea like a ring


around my waist,


the Earth is made of bread and stone,


the air sings like a guitar.




You,by my side in the sand,


you are the sand,


you sing and you are a song,


today the world


is my soul:


song and sand,


today the world


is your mouth:


Let me


be happy


on your mouth, on the sand,


be happy just because, because I am breathing


and because you are breathing,


be happy, because I am touching


your knee


and it is as though I am touching


the blue skin of heaven


and its pristine air.




Today let me


and me only


be happy,


with everybody or without them,


be happy,


with the grass


and the sand,


be happy


with the air and the earth,


be happy,


with you, with your mouth,


be happy.




-- Pablo Neruda

No comments: